Hit and Run Accidents in New Orleans
Have you been involved in a hit-and-run accident?
Hit-and-runs occur when someone involved flees the scene of an accident before providing assistance or information to the other drivers. Fleeing the scene of the accident is illegal in all states and likely will result in criminal charges. The Louisiana Department of Motor Vehicles encourages drivers to stop as close to the scene as possible following a motor vehicle accident.
If you have been involved in an accident involving a hit-and-run driver, there is no reason that you have to handle your case alone. The New Orleans hit-and-run accident lawyers and staff at Cueria Law Firm, LLC, are very experienced in these types of accidents. Contact our office today for a free consultation.
Common Causes of Hit and Run Accidents
- Population growth continues to be an issue that arises in connection with hit-and-run accidents. The United States is the third most populous country in the world, and with more people on the road, naturally, there is an increased risk for collisions, including hit-and-run accidents.
- Distracted driving is a contributing factor in hit-and-run accidents. Distracted driving includes texting-while-driving accidents. There are about 3000 traffic fatalities that result from distracted driving each year.
- Drunk driving also increases the risk of a hit-and-run accident. Someone may flee the scene of an accident if they are under the influence. The National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration reports 28 fatalities from alcohol-related vehicle collisions each year.
- While hit-and-runs typically occur between two moving cars, they may also involve pedestrians, bicyclists, motorcycles, parked cars, and other property.
Hit and Run Statistics
- Hit and Run crashes occur every minute on United States’ roads and highways.
- 5% of traffic fatalities occurred due to hit-and-run accidents.
- 68% of fatalities in hit-and-run accidents involved pedestrians and bicyclists.
- There is an annual increase of hit-and-run accidents by 7.2% each year since 2009.
- Fleeing drivers made up 20% of pedestrian crash fatalities.
*statistics gathered from nonprofit AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety
Contact Cueria Law Firm After Hit and Run Accidents
If you’ve been involved in a hit-and-run accident in New Orleans, you need a car accident attorney that will advocate for you and get you the compensation you need from the insurance company. Contact Cueria Law Firm and we can assist you in researching your case to find out the value of your claim. We can explain all of your options and run through the possible scenarios that may arise from your case.